An Associate Degree of Social Science is equivalent to the first two years of the Bachelor of Social Science.
Students can graduate with the Associate Degree of Social Science award or continue on and complete the Bachelor of Social Science within a specified time span. The Associate Degree of Social Science could complement other professional studies already gained in areas such as Nursing and Teaching.
Four trimesters full-time or part-time equivalent
Study counselling with some ministry subjects
Focuses on skills and theory
Available online or in-class
Not available to international students
The Associate Degree of Social Science is for students wanting to gain skills and knowledge related to counselling and working with people.
Course ID: CRS1200508
Course Level: Undergraduate
Number of Subject: 16
Total Credit Points: 96
Fees: Up-front and FEE-HELP
Scholarships Available: No
Modes of Delivery
In-class, virtual or online
- Satisfactory completion of Year 12 Higher School Certificate or its equivalent.
- Mature age (aged 20 and over) entry into undergraduate courses.
- Portfolio entry is open to school leavers. Portfolio entry is ideal if you are a:
- school leaver who is not eligible for an ATAR
- non-school leaver electing portfolio entry or who did not qualify through another pathway.
- 4 trimesters full-time or part-time equivalent
- Must be completed within 6 years
- Generally 9 hours per week per subject is required to do well, which includes lectures, readings and assignments.
Suggested Subject Progression
FIRST YEAR SUBJECTS
Critical Thinking and Writing Skills
Counselling Skills 1
Introduction to Marriage and Family Counselling
World Views and Counselling
Human Lifespan Development
Counselling Theories and Practice
SECOND YEAR SUBJECTS
Counselling Skills 2
Grief and Loss Counselling Theory and Practice
Marriage and Family Therapies (Theory & Practice)
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Christian Theology
CBT / DBT / EFT